I’m a full-time job seeker right now. And so, I have come up with some rules to keep myself from becoming a homeless degenerate. We’ll go chronologically though the day.
- Set an alarm. Don’t just sleep until you wake up. Because you will sleep til about 2 p.m.
- No more than two hits of the snooze alarm.
- Don’t screw it. You DO need to shower.
- Razor blades are expensive, but trim that into a well-groomed goatee/mustache/facial hair style.
- Make coffee. It will keep you from napping three hours after you wake up. Don’t put booze in it.
- No drinking when the sun is out.
- Do not turn on the TV until the first live sporting event, or 5 p.m. Tennis and golf don’t count (Unless it’s the Masters)
- No video games before 5 p.m.
- Obviously fill that time between 10:50 and 5 p.m. surfing for jobs online.
- Change it up occasionally. One day a week, instead of your “home office/couch,” move your base of operations to a coffee place (pay with your change).
- If there’s no jobs to apply for, after you’ve thoroughly searched, pick a room of your house and clean it up a little bit. Or do some laundry. Or the dishes. Something that helps you.
- Working on that novel or screen play, that doesn’t help you. Save that four the 4 to 6 p.m. timeslot.
- Once it hits 5 p.m., go ahead and turn on the TV. If you have a DVR, look ahead to midnight to 5 p.m. tomorrow. Record liberally.
- Go ahead and watch yesterday’s DVR list. Or hit up the video games.
- Crack open a beer. Don’t get drunk, but the beer gives you a reason to answer texts/calls with “No, I can’t go out, I’ve already started drinking.” Because let’s be honest, you can’t afford to go out.
- If you hear a test of the Emergency Broadcast System, immediately go to bed. It’s only a test. But it’s a sign you’re up way too late.
- Remember to set that alarm